Saturday, February 2, 2013

Breakfast and Afternoon Tea ... A New Routine

 photo F530385D-6FD1-4F6A-BF0A-0B101419678B-66159-0000215640FDD975.jpg 

The kids have just this past week gone back to school after their summer holidays.
At the end of last year, I was feeling like I was chasing my tail with the
kids school stuff.  I felt like we needed a new routine ... so, this
year we have started off right ... with a great routine. It's
not anything complicated or fancy but it has made
such a difference already.  The biggest 
thing I felt was lacking was 
constant and regular
communication
with the 
kids
mostly
where their
school stuff was
concerned.  They'd say
"Mom, you didn't sign that note."
and quite frankly, I couldn't even remember
SEEING 'that note' let alone remember signing it! I 
felt like I was putting things off ... and then not getting to them
and I just didn't want to do that again this year!  Also, our church started
a new Bible reading plan together this year and I felt determined to participate and
not get behind, because that's when I get discouraged and quit.  Also, it's not a 
lot of reading and I really wanted to do it with the kids.  So, first thing I 
instituted was 7:00 breakfast time during the week.  The kids and I 
sit down together.  We eat and we read out loud.  And we chat.
And it's good.  I feel like it starts our day out right.  It 
is double good because it means none of us 
leave the house without eating brekky.
The second thing I decided was
that I'd take the time to
make afternoon 
tea for the
kids 
and
sit down
and share it with
them after school.  As
well, while we are all sitting
at the table, the kids give me their notes,
I fill them in and send them back straight away!
Also, next week when homework starts, we will sit together
and do homework.  They don't usually need much help so I will have 
a book or do menu planning or something non computer related while sitting
at the table with them. I feel great about it and I think these two little changes will make
the world of difference to the school year running smoothly and me staying informed 
and connected.
I am excited!!

**

PS ... the photo
above was our afternoon
tea the other day.  The passion 
fruit is from the vine in our garden!

4 comments:

Khrista February 4, 2013 at 1:37 PM  

What a great new routine! Sounds so lovely. Would love to implement something like that here. Perhaps when my littles aren't so little anymore! ;) P.S. Fancy formatting! :)

Le monde dÖ February 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM  

breakfast time can be a lesson of life... Beautiful

Tessa March 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM  

I love this plan, Bonnie. If you can keep it going you will find it a great bonding tool and very advantageous and fun.

Tessa March 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM  

This is my third attempt to comment!
I love this plan. I know you will find it beneficial for bonding and for information. It is so relaxing to sit and listen to the chat and to see what they can do in their homework. Have fun.


My Other Blogs ...

Find Me On Ravelry

Simple Beauty Stats

I've been featured ~ TWICE!

Followers Of This Blog

It's A Small Small World !

free counters

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP